The Bernice Jones Festival is paused for the spring of 2022.
Check back for future updates.
An MVMTA sponsored event!
The Bernice Jones Piano Festival for students in grades 6-12
will be held in Mankato, MN, in 2021.
This festival was named after Bernice Jones, a long-time Mankato area resident, pianist and supporter of the musical arts.
Date of Festival
Saturday, March 27, 2021
8:00 am. to 2:00 p.m.
Date of Virtual Awards Ceremony
Sunday, March 28, 2021
Location of Festival & Honors Recital
Mt. Olive Lutheran Church and
Hilltop United Methodist Church
in Mankato, Minnesota
The Application Fee
is $20 per student.
This fee covers the cost of student participation in the festival. A free noon luncheon is also provided for the students and their guests.
Applications must be
submitted or postmarked by February 19, 2021
and should be sent to:
Janice Rauh (Festival Chair)
402 1st Avenue NW
Arlington MN 55307
Download the Bernice Jones Application in the link below!
Teachers must be members of MVMTA for their students to participate.
Teachers may join MVMTA at any time prior to the Bernice Jones Festival.
This activity is made possible in part by a grant from the Prairie Lakes Regional Arts Council with funds appropriated by the Minnesota State Legislature from its general fund.
Rules and Repertoire Requirements
The competition is open to all pianists in grades 6 through 12.
- Each student must play 2 (two) memorized pieces.
- Pieces must be from two different musical eras. Choose from Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Impressionistic and 20th-21st Century.
- Choose from all standard piano literature. Arrangements, transcriptions and “pop” music are not allowed. All pieces must have been written expressly for the piano and must be performed in their original, unaltered and unabridged version.
- The two pieces performed must be of approximate equal difficulty.
- 6th-10th grade participants – length of both pieces together should not exceed 10 minutes.
- 11th-12th grade participants – length of both pieces together should not exceed 12 minutes.
- The participant must provide an original score of each piece for the judge.
How Does the Festival Work?
All students in a particular grade will perform in person for a single judge. (No audience will be in the room this year.) That judge will choose winners – 1st place, 2nd place, and one or more honorable mentions. All winners will be part of a virtual Honors Recital the following day.
Each grade (6th through 12th) is judged separately.
All participants will perform for the judges between 8:00 am and Noon on the day of the Festival.
Winners receive cash awards and all participants will receive a Certificate of Participation.
The performance scores will be combined from year to year (max 10 points per year) and participation medals and trophies are awarded to students as they reach certain point levels. These medals and trophies are completely separate from the cash awards described above. You need never win a 1st, 2nd or Honorable Mention to receive these participation awards.
6th + 7th Grade
8th + 9th Grade
10th + 11th Grade
© Minnesota Valley Music Teacher’s Association – All rights reserved 2021